MLM Training on Leadership Control.
Do you try and control everything you do with your home business?
Ate you aware that being a control freak as a leader hurts your network marketing business?
Are you unknowingly practicing this for your work at home mlm?
Leadership is NOT control. It is about Influence and persuasion. It is about being a Catalyst and making things happen. But controlling everything going on is not leadership- it is dictatorship. And it never works to build a direct sales team.
Here is an article from SmartBriefs that will help you see from a Corporate side that you must NOT try and control everything. Yes, you want to hit the ranks that your comp plan has, and hit the top of the plan. But if you control everything in your group, you will find that it hurts you more than helps you do that.
And one of the biggest reasons NOT to try and control everything, is that your Influence will be hurt a LOT with your team and upline.
Here is the article- enjoy!
Why do you care if you do not hit the rank promotion or get the promotion you desire?
The three major impacts to you are:
- Financial—you don’t reach your income goals; the top sales officer is typically one of the 3 highest paid people in the company.
- Professional—you will be branded as the almost guy; He was almost the SVP. He almost got the big job. He almost got promoted but timing didn’t work.
- Personal—do you want to relocate and change industries in your mid 40’s? Is your wife interested in pulling the kids out of school? The average regional VP of Sales has 2 kids between the ages of 9 and 15; embedded in the community. Never easy.
Why you will lose the role to your internal peer or sideline team member? Lack of Influence
This month, Forbes wrote a compelling article on the importance of great sales leaders. Influence through coaching and developing all people in the organization stood out.
If you lack it, you will fail. You might be saying: “that sounds squishy.” It isn’t. You have positional authority; but you do have influential authority greater than your peers?
The higher up you go, the less control you have. The number one reason why Regional guys never become worldwide guys is they lack the ability to influence multiple stakeholders. They spent their careers controlling people. I call them Captain Control. Do you commit any of these 3 sins?
- Control People—you constantly are working behind the scenes to ensure all people in your region say the right thing when others are in the room. You don’t like people reaching out to your direct reports without you knowing. More importantly, you are fanatical about knowing what happened. Who said what to whom and when. You are “feared” in your group and you somewhat enjoy the perception that you carry the big stick.
- Control Ideas—you don’t like new ideas unless they are yours. You spend time pushing back on change. You resist it. You want your team to “run the playbook” vs. challenge you and conventional wisdom. No idea is a bad idea as long as it is yours.
- Control Opinions—you don’t seek transparency. You seek compliance. When you ask people questions, you do it in a manner to check the box. You say you want their opinion but you really don’t. You want their agreement with yours. Malicious obedience.
What is the Alternative? Measure yourself against your key sales team leaders. You may be surprised at how they manage and inspire their teams, not control them.
Link to article:
This is another post that will help your leadership in the mlm network marketing home business profession.
MLM Training Related Posts: